Elder Dallin Dean Gomez

Thursday, October 14, 2010

October 14th email from Elder Gomez


October 14, 2010

Hello my family and friends!
Thank you for your prayers, letters and support.
First item of business- HAPPY BIRTHDAY TALI! You are amazing. (so are all of
you others, but she is extra amazing today) I hope you have a great day.
I'm not the district leader anymore because the branch president asked me to
be the zone leader! It's been a good experience. I am no longer companions
with Elder Pung, because me and Elder Arnett are zone leaders now, so it's
just us two. This is my 3rd companionship. Just when I think I'm adjusting
to one thing, something completely different comes along! But that's good,
it's part of life.
Alright, something significant I learned from the scriptures this week...1
Nephi chapter 13. Please read it! It's amazing. I read it for personal study
and it got me so excited and it's amazing reading prophesies in the
scriptures that have been fulfilled and are going to be fulfilled. You can't
deny these things! They are in the scriptures! The Bible, the Book of
Mormon! They haven't been changed throughout the years, they've stayed the
same for hundreds of years! :)
Funny story that you'll all like, I know it :) -- During companionship
study, we were sitting in the hall and all of the sudden a spider crawls
right up besides my face when I'm leaning against the wall. It scared me
pretty bad! So I told one of the other Elders in our district (Elder
Burch) that there was a spider on the wall and he asked how much I would
give him if he ate the spider. I said ten dollars for sure! So he grabbed it
off the wall...and...ate it. Mmmm! It was no small spider either! I'm sorry
mom for the random ten dollars missing from my account. That's where it went
:)
The TRC this week was awesome! (training resource center) (where we teach
volunteer investigators) The gift of tongues is REAL! This week was our
first lesson that we were supposed to teach in complete EspaƱol! And I was
pretty nervous! Well long story short, when we finished with the lesson, me
and Elder Arnett came out, not knowing how in the world we just taught
a lesson in a different language. All we knew was that the Holy Ghost was
there so strong! It was incredible. It's amazing how Our Heavenly Father
will help you when you work hard for something. He will help you with the
rest. And He did...amazingly! The gifts of the Spirit are real, and awesome!
Other than that, Spanish is coming along pretty good. Elder Arnett is really
really good at Spanish, so we are progressing.
This week for our devotional we had Bishop Richard C. Edgely of the
presiding bishopric come. His message was very very good. One story was so
good that I'll share it with you all. Richard C. Edgely was on an airplane
and he met a minister of a baptist church. They started talking about
religion and eventually Bishop Edgely arranged for a get together type thing
for this minister and David B. Haight. During this meeting, they had a
connection with someone and they started talking about that, and eventually the
minister said "well, you have two things that make your church walk on easy
street" Elder Haight- "what are those?" "Well, all of your twenty-year-olds
go on missions, which they pay for themselves, and all of your members pay
ten percent of their income".  "Well...Brother so and so, next week, why don't
you get up in front of your congregation and announce two new changes." "I
couldn't do that!" "Why not?" "because they wouldn't do it!"  WHY wouldn't
they do it is the question! The reason why in our church, we are so
empowered to do such things as leave our family, friends, everything we hold
dear to us (besides the gospel :) ) behind, is because we have a REAL
conviction that our message, and our knowledge of God and Jesus Christ are
real. During Bishop Edgely's talk, I had an amazing impression that we are
here, all 2,500 missionaries just in the Provo MTC, and 52,000 other
missionary across the world, because we KNOW THE TRUTH, and we want to help
the Lord in His work to "invitar las personas a venir a Christo a fin de que
mediante la fe en Jesucristo y su expiacion, el arrepentimiento, el
baustismo, la recepcion del don del espiritu santo, y el perseverar hasta el
fin!" That is the work of the Lord, it's the only way! And it's true :)
I would suggest for everyone to read 1 Nephi 13, Joseph Smith History, 3
Nephi 11, and any more you want to! :) The Book of Mormon is amazing!

I love you all, thanks again
Elder Gomez

-- 
*Elder Dallin Dean Gomez*
MTC Mailbox # 286
CHI-CONS 1109
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604-1793

No comments:

Post a Comment