Elder Dallin Dean Gomez

Monday, November 29, 2010

Elder Gomez email Nov 29, 2010

November 29, 2010
Hola everybody!
Happy late Thaksgiving. I didn´t even know it was Thanksgiving until the day
after. Sadness. Things are going good here on this side of the world! So
here in Chile, they don´t really have three meals a day. They have
Almuerzo,
which translates to lunch, except for here, their lunch is the MAIN meal. As
missionaries, almuerzo is the only meal we eat with members, and it´s the
only meal we eat until night time, so you get used to eating a LOT. I´ll
just write out the general meal schedule: Breakfast - 7-8 am, Almuerzo-
about 1-3 pm, and "once" which is like their dinner, is at 9:30-10pm
about.
But sometimes you don´t have time to eat at night because you have do other
things, so you have to just eat a lot for almuerzo. It´s good though because
eating is one of my talents!
I´m understanding more and more of the language each day and I can speak
more and more every day, so that´s good. I´ve probably said this before,
but
Chilenos speak really fast!
On Saturday we did service for a sister in our area who is inactive and we
cut down her weeds in her back yard for her...we had a pair of snippers (I
don´t know the correct word) and a Machete. I used the machete :) It was
fun, but it took forever.
On Sunday, we sang Christmas hymns in church and it made me so happy! I had
almost forgot that Christmas existed because nobody has decorations up or
anything. It reminded me of Christ and why we celebrate Christmas in the
first place. Then it reminded me of my purpose here as a missionary- to
invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored
gospel. A knowledge of our Savior Jesus Christ changes lives!
Jose Daniel, who I wrote about in the last email, the 20 year old. Well,
he came to church and really liked it, and we visited him a few times this
week, and one of the times we talked about church, and how he felt there
and what he thought about it and such, and he said while he was there, he
had a "impresion distincto" in his exact words. A distinct impression that
it was true, that Joseph Smith is a prophet.
His parents are Catholic I think, and he stopped going to church with them
when he was younger because he never liked it, but when he came to the
true restored church of Jesus Christ, he knew it was just that. Way
awesome! Ya! In only a week, this 20 year old kid has changed so much. We
also have about 5 or 6 other investigators also who are progressing and
discovering the truth of Jesus Christ.
There are so many people in the world who need the gospel, the truth. Share
the gospel with everyone- your friends and family! On my first day here I
was way nervous to talk to people, when Elder Chavez handed me some
pass-along cards on the first day I just about fainted...but luckily I
made
it through. Ha ha. And now, all I want to do is talk to people. Heavenly
Father will help you when you have a desire to share the gospel. He
blesses
you with LOVE. Alma 30:33-35 says it all! Why do we share the gospel? Why am
I here? Is it to earn money? No! I´m the one paying. It´s solely because the
gospel makes me happy. And it makes me even happier to share that
happiness
with others! Doesn´t it make you all happy to hear about someone you know
joining the church? Of course! Now imagine how happy I am because I get to
do that all day and be a part of it :) I hope you're jealous now. Naw, not
really. But I hope you all try to be missionaries to people you know
because it´s seriously the happiest thing ever :)
That´s all for now. I hope you are all doing great!
Sincerely,
Elder Gomez
P.S.
I got mail finally on Friday! I got two letters from Mom and one from Jill
and some from dearelder.com but no packages yet. I´ll get mail again on December
23rd.

I had my interview with the president and it was good. I asked him about
Elder McConnell and my mtc friends and everyone is good. Elder Boman is too!

We started guitar classes this last week, Elder Chavez teaches. I offered to
teach English too so I´ll let you know how that goes as it happens.
-- *Elder Dallin Dean Gomez* Chile Concepcion South Mission O'Higgins 940, Oficina 503 Concepcion Bio-Bio Chile

No comments:

Post a Comment