Elder Dallin Dean Gomez

Monday, June 6, 2011

TRANSFERS!

June 6, 2011
Hello people,

This week was action packed. At the beginning of the week there were a few tremors, this time I felt them! Whooh! I am excited that I am finally starting to participate in natural disasters. Ha ha.
This week we did a lot of contacts for the first time in a while which I was really excited about. So that was great. Contacts basically have to do with talking to new people who you dont know. That could mean knocking on doors, or talking to people in the street, or talking to people in a store, just wherever. The Lord will always bless you for doing what is right, and he blessed us a lot. We found a lot of people that are awesome. We found Jaqueline on the first day of the week. We knocked on her door and she is a humble lady with two kids who just finished a surgery. I asked her what the most important thing in her life is, and she said her family, and she started to cry a little and she told us that her husband just found out that morning that he has cancer. She let us come in and we had a great lesson about the atonement and we left her a Book of Mormon and Alma 7 to read. She said a prayer at the end and just cried and cried. I told her that it was for a reason that we passed by precisely today, and that we are here to help her in everything that she needs. She is so ready to learn about the gospel and we are excited for her.

I have to tell you all about a few people. First off Andrea. She is a 27 year old art teacher, who was an inactive member. Her family is really cool. The first day of mine in Independencia I got to know her doubts about the church pretty good and her personality...she is very contestant! Its like everything about the church she had a question about and she wanted to argue about. So by the end of a few of her interesting questions, I said, honestly, the only thing that I can teach you Andrea is prayer, and read the Book of Mormon, Alma 32. I told her, it doesnt matter how much you talk about this little details, you cant come to any conclusion unless you pray and ask if the church of Jesus Christ was restored through Joseph Smith. I said that that is the only thing I can teach you-prayer! So I left Alma 32 and commited her to read it and PRAY! From the first moment that I met her though I could feel something special about her. Its like the whole time I knew she already had a testimony, even though she didnt go to church for years and years. (quite the contrary actually, she got involved in some BAD stuff) The truth makes much more sense than any lie anyone can invent. The gospel is so simple! Anyway, so from that point and onward, she changed and changed and one day we went to her house, and she is going through the hymnbook and singing hymns! Ha ha. She a sister, Carla, 15,  a brother, Oliver, 22, and her mom Ruth. They are all active and awesome, and now Andrea is so different, she has a huge light change in her eyes! I dont know how to say it without sounding weird, but she shines. That is why I am here, for this change in people. Oliver received the Melquisedec priesthood yesterday and he is so excited.

Also, we have Isidora, she is a 14 year old girl with three younger brothers and sisters, her little sister is Josefa, who got baptized last month. Isidora has gone through a very rebellious stage, but now she is different, like Andrea. She has a different light about her.

I am running out of time fast, so I will just tell you all the other thing that happened this week.....I'M LEAVING INDEPENDENCIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!! I'M GETTING TRANSFERED OUT AGAIN AFTER 6 WEEKS!!!!! I am going to a little town called Santa Barbara. I have just heard that its small, far in the country, and cold, and beautiful.

I am really sad to leave this area after only one transfer. I didnt think that it would happen again to me. As I have been saying goodbye to people I have learned how important it is to be a disciple of Christ. To be a missionary like we should be. Yesterday we got invited to a family night with the young single adults so they could say goodbye to me. At the end of the family night Andrea thanked me for being the one missionary who actually taught her and was interested in answering her doubts and questions. And because of that she is happy in her life again and planting the seeds of faith. Also, one thing about Andrea is that all of those years that she was inactive, she NEVER failed to pay her tithing. She had a testimony of that if nothing else. When she told me that I just about wet my pants. I wanted to say, "Do you know how hard it is for an active member to pay tithing??" Anyway, its just another testimony to me of the goodness of the commandments of God. He wants to bless us so much, but He only can if we keep the commandments, because he is a just God. He will bless us perfectly if we just follow Him.

Two more cool experiences. At the family night, the mom of the young single adult who's house we were in shared a story about how she was called to be a stake missionary, and she didnt know how to read. She was nervous but felt like she should just accept the calling. So she started memorizing the mssionary lessons and she quickly learned how to read, and since then she can read! God blessed her in a big way when she accepted that calling.

Also, one time a sister who was going to give lunch to the missionaries called her and said that she had to go to the hospital to take her daughther who was really sick, and she asked if she could do a huge favor and feed the missionaries. So she accepted of course, and she went to the freezer and there was just two little pieces of meat left, so of course she cooked them for the missionaries, and right after the missionaries left, a neighbor came by her house and gave her a whole pigs worth of meet that they had extra from a slaughter they just did, so she got all of that meat! The blessings from our Heavenly Father are real, I know that is true.

I love you all, take care.

Elder Gomez

There was so much more to talk about this week....but I have to go now. OH! We also put three new baptismal dates yesterday with a family! :)


photos:
My district
Me eating crab...mm it was delicous!
A dog pulling a Catherine Zeta-Jones :D
With Renaldo and Claudia, the couple who gives us food all the time. We are teaching Renaldo
Andrea, (far right) and family. At the ordenation of Oliver.
Young men, Independencia
The family with whom we are working. They are awesome! They are going to be baptized on the 26th of June.
Family night with the young single adults
Another picture with Andrea and family


--
Elder Dallin Dean Gomez
Chile Concepcion South Mission
O'Higgins 940, Oficina 503
Concepcion
Bio-Bio
Chile










1 comment:

  1. Love the updates and especially the pictures!

    ReplyDelete