Elder Dallin Dean Gomez

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Birthday Letter

Hey everyone! Thank you for all of the birthday wishes! 21....wow.....I am only one year younger than Camilla. YES!! 
This week has been very good. One of the main reasons why it was so good is because yesterday night I was able to go back to Labranza!!!!!!!!! and today I was in Villa Obispo!!!!!!!!! It was good. I called a few people from Labranza ahead of time and arranged that a few families be together in one house to be able to say goodbye to everyone, because I didnt have much time. It was good. It was nice being able to see BETO and his family. They were just sealed in the temple about two weeks ago! I cant believe how he has progressed...from being a rebellious man who didnt want much to do with the church to now...being a sensitive man sealed to his family and endowed with power in the temple!! The gospel does miracles in people's lives. I know that it is true. It is very false to think that sin doesnt really exist and that we are free to do whatever we want and we wont have to suffer consequences. In reality, sin DOES exist and when we commit sins, it takes us away from the presence of God and away from true happiness. And on the contrary to that, we can ALWAYS repent and come back unto Jesus Christ. He is waiting with open arms. I know that He is our Savior. I know that Jesus Christ lives. I know that he was born of  a virgin, Mary. I know that He lived a perfect life and that he died for our sins. I know that on the third day he resurrected from the dead. He lives today. He will come again. He is real! I know that He established His kingdom on earth and that he has a prophet who guides and directs His church on earth. I know that Thomas S. Monson and the quorum of the twelve are Special Witnesses of Jesus Christ. I know that I was called by a living prophet by revelation to the Chile Concepcion South mission! God is our Heavenly Father. He loves us. He is the father of our spirits. I know that Jesus left his gospel on earth, that we MUST have faith in Him and repent of our sins and be baptized and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Everyone needs the guidance of the Holy Ghost in their life. And everyone needs to live the gospel to return to live with God one day. Jesus is my Savior. I KNOW IT. I have never seen Him but I have felt the Spirit testify to me that He lives. 
Also as part of my testimony, I KNOW that the Book of Mormon is true. It is a simple book that has changed my life. It is the word of God. I hope that nobody is foolish enough to ignore this book and to ignore where it came from. It would be the biggest mistake of their life. It came from a prophet of God, Joseph Smith, who saw God and Jesus Christ in physical form. He was a humble boy who was 14 years-old. Just younger than Carlos.  Please read the Book of Mormon. Don't let another day pass by without reading it. 

On Monday I had an interview with President Martinez. It was extremely short. I asked him about goals. He helped me out a lot and I was able to set some goals that have helped me. 

Sister Obreque, from my first area, Labranza, came up to Concepcion to say goodbye to about 4 missionaries who were leaving who were in Labranza at some point of their missions. She related me the experience of the sealing of Beto. She said that before they went in, she gave Daniela a case of tissues. Daniela asked "what are these for??" and Sister Obreque said "you are going to bawl your eyes out! Your heart is going to come out of your mouth!" Daniela responded confidently that she wouldnt need them. Ha ha. Anyway, it turns out that at a certain point in the sealing that she got really emotional and she and Beto started crying and crying and crying of joy and the spirit. Sister Obreque said "I TOLD YOU!" as Daniela's masquera was all over her face. 
Daniela, for many years, never thought that the day would come when she would be in HER sealing. Miracles exist!

We were able to say goodbye to 10 missionaries who are going home and 14 new missionaries who got here. It's amazing seeing the difference between the missionaries who are leaving. If they were obedient in their mission of not....if they lived the gospel and had a change of heart or not. Luckily I can say that the majority of them were missionaries who were great...but there were a couple that didnt give their hearts to the Lord, and the difference is huge. I love this work, and it's still not real that I will be ending this time soon. I will keep working hard until the last day. 

Embarrassing story of the week- I called a missionary, a sister missionary, to say happy birthday from the office. Well...I forgot that the day before was transfer day and she got transferred out of her area....so I said HAPPY BIRTHDAY SISTER MATEOS!!!!! And it wasnt Sister Mateos..it was Sister Ortiz. That's embarrassing. The sisters got a pretty good laugh out of it.

Tender Mercy- I was able to see some of the fruits that have come from being in Labranza and Villa Obispo. I was so amazed in Villa Obispo as I talked to Edgardo and Soledad and Silvia and the Gonzalez family and many others. Converts that now have SO MUCH FAITH!!! And because of their examples, each one has witnessed at least one person in their family get baptized and be converted. This gospel is amazing. I was so happy to visit our area of Villa Obispo with Elder Strait after we were there for almost 5 months. 

Love, Elder Gomez
-The two traveling assistants and the office workers.
-Elder Strait with the shoe shining guy in the airport.
-Elder Strait and his yellow shirt. ha ha
-Elder Strait and Elder Boman! Familiar faces
-Visiting CAMILA from Labranza!!!
-Me with Daniela and Beto (he is a completely different man now!) and Brother Obreque
-With the Catalan family

-Funny
-With Soledad and family.
-With the grandma who gave us the referral of her grandson, Felipe, who was baptized with his mom and brother. They are an awesome family! Mine and Elder Strait's golden family. She thanked us a ton for helping to change her son.
-With the John and Alexa family and their two girls and 1/2 boy, Edgardo, and the Kiger family. I love these people!!!! Edgardo is doing so good! I amazed at how far he's come since the first day we knocked on his door. He is awesome. 
-More Labranza people! Brandon is about to go on his mission. 
-Gonzalez family
-With Sister Quezada and one of my birthday presents from them.
-With Fernandita
-With Elder Arjona and Elder Tavernier....the two lucky missionaries who are in Villa Obispo now! Two great friends!!! Elder Arjona is from Spain.
-Silvia made me a cake. She is a professional baker. It was delicious!
-With the Quezada familia. The coolest family in Chile! 

















No comments:

Post a Comment